Sunday, March 25, 2012

Butoh drawrrrings

Last night we drew in the new YBCA space, every seat was taken and the final count was 46 total artists. Not bad for a rainy San Francisco night.

 We drew Deborah Butler, she is a Butoh dancer.

Butoh is fascinating. It started in the 50s in Japan as a sort of rebellion against traditional forms of dance. It is very avant-garde and interesting to see. During the breaks she shifted from one pose into the next using the movements of Butoh and I was transfixed. I couldn't take my eyes off of her and she held her face and hands in great shapes. It was inspiring.

The white makeup proved to be challenging to draw, and her costume had lots of volume, texture and transparency. I had trouble initially with white conté crayon on gray paper, the lines of the conté were too hard for what I wanted. I switched over to white watercolor on the gray paper and that worked out pretty well.
  Butoh 2Butoh 1 Butoh 4 Butoh 3 Butoh 5

And today Constance and I went riding on our Pelicans. Her bike is set up for touring, she had an epic tour last year. We did the Paradise loop. I brought some home made rice cakes from the The Feed Zone and a lemon line homemade sports drink from Brendan Brazier's book Thrive. I'm testing out nutrition for the Populaire next week.

Flock o pelicans

No comments: