Thursday, December 05, 2013

NoNewClothing 2014?

An interesting chat with my therapist last night left me considering something. I started out talking about NoSugarNovember, and how I still feel like an addict and so I'm not going back to sugar. It feels like I still get plenty of it, because I'm still eating grains and plenty of foods contain sugar. For instance, we had Chinese food on Thanksgiving and I felt pretty jittery after that.

I was also talking about how B and I want to go to Thailand and Vietnam next year, and I've committed to ALC and a short tour of the Sierras. And how am I going to afford all of these things and also keep saving money per Mr. Money Mustache? Her take on it is that the experience of going to Thailand and Vietnam are worth putting off new custom shoes and any new clothing. And she mentioned a friend of hers who decided to not buy anything new for a year.

This is appealing for a lot of reasons. I feel like an addict when it comes to clothing. I do things that aren't quite right for my budget and sometimes I can't seem to help myself. I make excuses. I get depressed once I've done the thing because it effects everything afterwards. I justify it. It just doesn't feel clean and honest.

So a year without means it would be long enough to hopefully break the addiction.

When she first mentioned it I felt bummed out, because living without the creativity makes me feel sad. Style is important to me. But we talked about ways to put it into a creative context, like buying second hand and making allowances for making new things, and it changes it to a challenge. Also going on this trip is worth it. This also reminds me of The Uniform Project, which I really respected.

There are a lot of reasons to consider it.

I want AIDS/LifeCycle to cost less this year, I bought a lot of things this year that might be a little too big now, but I can alter them to fit.

It would be hard to not order any custom stuff, I have plans for new shoes. But I could make do with what I already have.

Pushing myself to be creative, rather than just consume, is very appealing. It's going Against the Stream.

This would be living within the boundaries of YNAB and Mr. Money Mustache, and this is something that I really want to do.

Am I ready? It's such a short time to 2014! Can I do it? Would you do it???

No comments: