Saturday, December 28, 2013

AIDS/LifeCycle 2014

And so it begins. 

I just put a repeating item called 'ALC training' on my calendar, for every Sunday from January 12th to May 17th. I've already taken the week of June 1st-7th off from work. Bill and I have already chatted about how I'm getting home from LA.

This is how one goes into the year knowing that the next 6 months will equal a lot of things. Hard work, time outside, singing show tunes with teammates. Sun screen, electrolytes, flat tires, the indignity of that one last hill that goes up and into the Presidio after the Golden Gate bridge. 90 miles done and one $&^%^&*%* hill to go. 

These things all feel routine, and known. It feels interesting going into AIDS/LifeCycle the second year because I know what to expect. What I'm grappling with this year is how to ask. How to ask you folks to support me again. And what I'm coming up with is how this event changed me. For example, Bill just told me he had never seen me give a dollar to a homeless person until after the ride last year. 

Generosity is a practice. Doing the ride last year helped me realize that I like doing things for others. Granted, I don't always feel like it. But I can practice and see how it feels.

So here we are at the end of the year and I'm going to ask you to practice generosity and see how it feels. Can you donate?


One thing to note about donating to ALC now is that it can help with your 2013 taxes. It will also give me a baseline of support for that last trudge up to the bridge. Knowing maybe I have raised $1500 for people who need medicine because they are sick. My total goal is $6,000. Last year I raised this and more. Right now I am at $496.

My fundraising plan for the year is this:

• If you donate $300 total by June 1st, I'll send you a drawing. (6) monthly donations of $50 will get you there by June.

• February 14th Have a Heart event at Mom's Body Shop.

On Valentine's day, you can get a $25 heart tattoo from Mom's Body Shop on Haight Street and all profits will go towards my ride. Last year, Mom's raised $1200 for ALC!! If you are in San Francisco, consider marking your calendar for this. There are a variety of hearts to choose from, and it is for a great cause.

See mine:


• In May, May, Dr Sketchy's 'Cute Girls on Bicycles' Annual event will be a fundraiser for ALC. Last year we raised over $600 with tips, giveaways and grilled cheese sandwiches. 

I'm riding for those who can't, for those who are sick, need care and deserve dignity. I'm riding for my teammate, Jonathan Baker, who took his life last month. We don't know why. I ride for Freddie Mercury who died of AIDS in 1991. He was an inspiration and I only hope that my light shines as bright as his. I ride so that the beneficiaries of these funds can bring hope and awareness, and possibly a cure.

Thank you for your generosity,
Alice

Click here to donate: http://www.tofighthiv.org/goto/AliceStribling2014

No comments: